Making your own simple Christmas crafts is a great way to add farmhouse style to your home during the Christmas season. And if you love decorating in rustic style, making your own DIY decor is a fun way to add some Fixer Upper charm without having to go searching for the perfect holiday decorations in the store. This holiday season, stay home and add some farmhouse style to your holiday decor by making your own farmhouse style DIY mason jar Christmas decor.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you purchase something from my link (at no additional cost to you). Thanks for your support!
This rustic DIY mason jar Christmas decoration is the perfect way to add some farmhouse charm to your holiday decorations this Christmas. In addition to being easy to make, creating your own farmhouse DIY projects at home will also save you a ton of time and money!
Looking for more crafts to make with your mason jars? Check out all my fun mason jar crafts to get tons of great inspiration for a variety of great crafts!
DIY Mason Jar Christmas Decor
You’ll need just a few simple supplies to make your own mason jar Christmas decorations. Keep reading to see how to make your own rustic snowglobe at home.
To make your mason jar snowglobe, you’ll just need these supplies:
- Wide mouth mason jar: While I love traditional mason jars, I wouldn’t use a regular mouth mason jar for this craft. You’ll want to be able to reach into the jar, if needed, and it can be hard to fit your hand in a small-mouthed jar.
- Cotton balls: Create the illusion of a snowy hill inside your snowglobe with the help of cotton balls.
- Mini truck ornament: I found this adorable mini red truck ornament at Wal-Mart, but I’m sure you could find a version to fit in your mason jar at any craft store, too.
- Mini trees: Use a couple of mini pine trees to create a rustic scene inside your mason jar snowglobe. These trees were found at Hobby Lobby, but I’ve also seen mini trees at Dollar Tree.
- Faux snow: Create a snowglobe effect inside your mason jar with the help of some sparkly faux snow. You can get a big bag of faux snow at Dollar Tree for just $1.
- Hot glue gun: You’re also going to need your trusty hot glue gun to put this craft together.
How to Make a Mason Jar Snowglobe
Creating a mason jar snowglobe at home is so easy! And since this is a simple waterfree snowglobe craft, you don’t have to worry about making a mess with a leaky jar. Instead, all you need are some cotton balls and faux snow to create a snowglobe effect inside your mason jar.
Start by creating a snowy ground under your red truck with some cotton balls. I glued a single layer of cotton balls all around the mason jar lid to cover the bottom of the lid. Then, I created a small hill toward the back of the jar lid by adding a second layer of cotton balls just at the back. This allows my mini trees to sit up slightly higher than my red truck.
After creating the snowy hill with the cotton balls, you can add the decorations to your mason jar lid. Glue the mini red truck toward the front of the jar lid, then place some trees behind the truck.
When you’re finished decorating your Christmas mason jar, it’s time to add the faux snow. To keep from making a mess with the snow, I suggest adding the snow to the jar instead of trying to sprinkle it over the red truck scene. Just add a thin layer of snow in the bottom of the jar — you don’t want too much snow or it will cover up your truck and trees!
Then, flip your truck scene on the lid upside down and screw the lid in place. Before you do this, make sure your truck and trees are glued securely so they don’t fall off when you put your snowglobe together.
After screwing the lid tightly, give the snowglobe a good shake to disperse the snow around in the jar so it isn’t covering up any of the important elements of the decorations.
Mason Jar Christmas Decoration
I love the look of my rustic mason jar Christmas decorations, but there are so many other fun ways to make this craft! Keep reading for some other ideas for your mason jar snowglobe.
- Paint the lid. For a more festive look, why not paint your lid before adding it to the snowglobe? You can paint it green to give it a Christmas tree look, red to add some holiday cheer to your decor, or white to give it a more classic look.
- Create a new scene. Instead of using a red truck in your snowglobe, you could create a different scene. Check out the mini ornaments at your favorite craft store or find elements for a mini Christmas village to include inside your mason jar snowglobe.
- Use different sized jars to make a display. You can create a snowglobe display with your mason jars by using different sized jars. Add different decorative elements to each jar to create a rustic snowglobe display.
- Add them to more mason jar crafts to create a rustic look. If you want to create a mason jar centerpiece or mantle display, check out my Christmas mason jars for another fun holiday craft to add to your display.
No matter how you choose to make these beautiful mason jar Christmas decorations, I’m sure it’s going to look amazing with the rest of your holiday decor!
- Wide mouth mason jar with lid
- Cotton balls
- Mini red truck ornament (purchased at Wal-Mart)
- Mini trees (purchased at Hobby Lobby)
- Hot glue gun
- Faux snow
- Glue the cotton balls to the inside of the mason jar lid.
- Glue the red truck ornament and trees on top of the cotton balls.
- Add a small amount of faux snow to the inside of the jar.
- Screw the lid onto the jar and flip the jar upside down. Shake the jar to move the snow around.
More Fun Christmas Craft Ideas:
If you like this post, you’ll probably like these:
Emily is a midwestern mom of two boys. She loves all things DIY — from home renovations to kids birthday party planning. Whether she’s making a new farmhouse craft for her home or helping her kids with a cool activity, you can bet she’s in the middle of some kind of DIY project (or three) right now!