Dr. Seuss is one of my family’s favorite authors. We love celebrating Dr. Seuss Day on March 1. If you’re planning your own Dr. Seuss party this year, you need to add these adorable Cat in the Hat cupcakes to your dessert table. They’re delicious, simple to make, and healthy, too!
This posts contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you purchase something from my link (at no additional cost to you). Thanks for your support!
One of the best ways to celebrate Dr. Seuss day is with some fun food. These adorable cupcakes certainly fit the bill! They’re made of mini red and white striped cupcakes with fruit and whipped topping on top. I’m sure your kids will love them, and they’ll get a little fruit in as they eat them, too.
Look how adorable these little cupcakes are! I love the red and white striped cake on these cute Cat in the Hat cupcakes. And while it looks like these were super complicated to make, they’re actually very easy.
These cupcakes are made with a boxed cake mix, so the first step to create this cool striped effect is to make your white cake batter according to the package instructions.
Another great thing about this simple recipe is that these Cat in the Hat cupcakes can easily be made gluten free. And you know how much I love a recipe that can easily be made gluten free! All you have to do to make these into gluten free Cat in the Hat cupcakes is use a gluten free white cake mix. Betty Crocker and King Arthur Flour both make great white cake mixes that would be perfect for this recipe!
Make the Cupcakes
After you have mixed up your white cake mix batter for the Cat in the Hat cupcakes, separate the batter into two bowls. Leave one alone and add a packet of strawberry flavored Jell-o to the other bowl. Stir to combine the Jell-o and cake mix.
Now it’s time to make your cute striped cupcakes for the Cat in the Hat cupcakes. Start by pouring one teaspoon of plain white cake batter into the bottom of each of your mini cupcake liners. I alternated between red and white liners, but I love the look of the white liners after the cakes were baked. You could clearly see the striped cupcakes through the liner, which made for a cool effect on the Cat in the Hat cupcakes.
Next, top the plain white cake batter with the strawberry flavored batter. Measure a teaspoon of strawberry flavored batter for each mini Cat in the Hat cupcake. Be sure to measure each layer evenly, so each layer is even as it bakes.
Make the Hat Toppers
While the Cat in the Hat cupcakes are baking, take a few minutes to prepare the fruit hats to go on top. Start by slicing your strawberries in to even slices. Then, slice your bananas into even slices, too.
To assemble the hat cupcake toppers, organize the slices by size, then stack them on top of a toothpick. Be sure to leave around an inch of extra toothpick on the bottom of the fruit hats so you can easily attach them to the cupcakes.
After the cupcakes have finished baking, allow them to cool completely before putting the Cat in the Hat cupcakes together. If they’re still warm, the whipped topping will start to melt, making a big mess! When the cupcakes are cool, top each one with a small dollop of whipped topping. I used Cool Whip for mine.
Assemble the Cat in the Hat Cupcakes
Finish putting your Cat in the Hat cupcakes together by placing the fruit hat on top of each cupcake. Carefully push the end of the toothpick into the cupcake and squish the fruit hat into the whipped topping to secure it.
And that’s it! See how simple that was? But these cute Cat in the Hat cupcakes will make such an impact at your Dr. Seuss party, no one will know how easy they were!
- 1 box white cake mix (plus ingredients to make the cake)
- 1 small box strawberry gelatin
- 1 tub whipped topping
- 15 bananas
- 3 pounds strawberries
- Preheat the oven according the cake mix instructions and line a mini cupcake can with red and white cupcake liners.
- Make cake mix according to package directions.
- Separate the cake mix evenly into two bowls.
- Add the strawberry gelatin to one bowl and stir to combine.
- Spoon a teaspoon of plain white cake mix into each cupcake liner. Tap the pan on the counter to make sure the cake mix is even.
- Spoon a teaspoon of strawberry flavored cake mix on top of the white cake mix in each cupcake liner.
- Bake the cupcakes according the package instructions. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Top each cupcake with a small dollop of whipped topping.
- Assemble the Cat in the Hat cupcake toppers by slicing all the strawberries and bananas into evenly thick slices. Then, stack the fruit, alternating between bananas and strawberries, on a toothpick. Be sure to leave half of the toothpick exposed on the bottom.
- Assemble the cupcakes by sticking the toothpick into each cupcake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 48Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
If you like this post, you’ll probably like these:
Emily is a midwestern mom of two boys. She loves all things DIY — from home renovations to kids birthday party planning. Whether she’s making a new farmhouse craft for her home or helping her kids with a cool activity, you can bet she’s in the middle of some kind of DIY project (or three) right now!