It’s almost Mardi Gras, which means I had to share a recipe for one of my favorite New Orleans dishes — gluten free jambalaya. This delicious recipe is so easy to make, and you can adapt it to your taste. This time, I made a lightened up version that’s perfect for someone on the new Weight Watchers Freestyle program.
Did I ever tell you I lived in New Orleans for a few years? That’s why Mardi Gras is so special to me. I spent all four years of my college career at Tulane University celebrating Mardi Gras, and I continue to celebrate here in Illinois when I can. We always eat a delicious New Orleans-inspired meal and, of course, a King Cake. I guess you could say my celebrations now are a lot tamer than they were in college, but it’s still fun to remember the joys of Mardi Gras past!
This delicious recipe substitutes high-fat sausage that is typically in jambalaya with turkey sausage. It also includes boneless, skinless chicken breast — which is zero points on the new Freestyle program!
You might like these:
|Cuisinart Classic Enameled
Cast Iron Covered Casserole
|Fiesta Place Setting, Sunflower||Fiesta Turquoise Flatware Set||The Pioneer Woman Acacia
Wood Spoon & Turner Set
My gluten free jambalaya recipe is so easy to make — and it only takes one pot! I recommend using a cast iron dutch oven to cook this one-pot meal. Things just taste better when they’re cooked in cast iron, right? To start, place your pot on medium heat and add your vegetable oil. Toss in your sliced turkey sausage and saute until the sausage begins to brown. Remove the sausage from the pan, then add your diced chicken.
As the chicken begins to brown, toss in some diced green bell peppers and diced onions. After the vegetables have sweated a little bit, add some diced garlic. Let all the flavors mingle together for a few minutes, then add your sausage back into the mix. Finally, pour in your chicken stock.
Stir all the ingredients to combine, then pour in your rice. The final step is the hardest — put a lid on the pot and don’t peek for 30 minutes! You need to steam and liquid to cook your rice perfectly
And that’s it! Now you can celebrate Mardi Gras without the guilt because you have this delicious gluten free jambalaya recipe. And the best part is, it’s only 8 points!
- 1 tb oil
- 1 13-ounce package smoked turkey sausage
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt
- dash of cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- In a large pot or dutch oven, saute the sausage in oil. Remove sausage from pan.
- Brown the chicken in the remaining oil and drippings.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in chicken broth, salt, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add rice and return to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Weight Watchers Freestyle points: 8 per serving
|Gluten Free Chex Mix||Gluten Free Green Bean||Gluten Free Fried Chicken|